We have been bad. Verrrrrrrry bad. It's been it feels like eons since we ate a home-cooked meal at all. And being post-baby and all, I've got a little extra going on in the middle. And the hubby put on a good amount of sympathy weight while I was pregnant. So is eating all those greasy gyros, and pizzas, and burgers really a great idea? Hell no. We decided today to put a stop to it, and I spent the entire morning on Pinterest looking at recipes. There is some delicious looking stuff out there! And even if it's not 100% healthy, it's better than the crap we've been ingesting since being at home with a new baby makes it hard to eat well!
In my super-fun clicking spree I managed to come across a blog called Cuisine Paradise. And on said blog I found a recipe that sounded like a dream! Avocado Chicken Parmigiana. All things I like! So I set out for the store to get the missing ingredients, came back home after spending more than I planned on (as per usual!), and cooked. It turned out DEEEEEEEEEEEE-licious. And I'm definitely not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination, so this makes me quite pleased with myself.
Avocado Chicken Parmigiana
Serves: 4 | Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2 chicken breast fillets, halved lengthwise
½ cup plain flour
2 tablespoons fresh milk
1 ½ cups dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil/cooking spray
½ cup tomato pasta sauce
2 avocados, sliced
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Place chicken breast in a clear plastic bag, or between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or meat mallet pound until 0.5 cm thick. **I highly recommend using a meat mallet, the rolling pin was quite frustrating and took a while. And broke a couple of my chicken breasts**
2. Place flour and bread crumbs on 2 separate plates and lightly whisk milk and egg together in a shallow dish.
3. Coat 1 piece of chicken breast in flour (shake off the excess), dip it into the egg/milk mixture and then coat in bread crumbs using your fingertips to press on and secure.
|Feel Free To Take Goofy Pictures As Well|
4. Place on prepared baking tray (I used nonstick cooking spray on the pan), and repeat the same process with the remaining chicken breasts.
5. Lightly spray or brush the prepared chicken with oil. Bake for 8 minutes in a preheated 400° Fahrenheit oven, flipping the chicken after 4 minutes so it cooks evenly.
6. Remove from oven and spread each chicken breast with 1 heaped tablespoon of pasta sauce (I put a little more on mine since I love pasta sauce) and arrange avocado slices over the sauce heaps. Sprinkle with a decent amount of mozzarella cheese.
7. Return chicken to oven and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes or until golden and chicken is cooked through.
8. Serve with whatever you'd like, we just had a small salad with ours.
If it's simple enough for me to make, I'm sure it will be even easier for the rest of the world! I did add a little bit of garlic salt to the marinara for a little flavor boost. All in all, recipe was both easy to make, and easy to devour. Definitely a tasty treat!
Feel free to follow me on Pinterest if you would like! I love finding new people to follow!